In 1980, the Rajadhyaksha Committee on Power Sector Reforms submitted its report to the Government of India suggesting that extensive reforms were needed in the Indian power sector. In 1981, the Government of India took a policy decision to form a National Power Grid, which would pave the way for the integrated operation of the central and regional transmission systems.
In October 23, 1989 under the Companies Act, 1956, the National Power Transmission Corporation Limited was formed, and assigned the responsibility of planning, executing, owning, operating and maintaining the high voltage transmission systems in the country. In October 1992 , the National Power Transmission Corporations name was changed to Power Grid Corporation of India Limited, as we know of it today.
- POWERGRID Infrastructure Investment Trust (PGInvIT): 1st InvIT sponsored by a CPSE and largest public offer by any InvIT/ REIT of ₹ 7,734.99 crore successfully launched by POWERGRID.
- Bipole-I (3000 MW) of ±800 kV Raigarh - Pugalur HVDC transmission line commissioned.
- First time in India, Voltage Source Convertor (VSC) Technology: Monopole 1 & 2 of ±320kV VSC based HVDC terminals and associated ± 320 kV HVDC Pugalur - North Thrissur transmission line.
- 11 REMCs dedicated to the nation by Hon’ble MoSP (I/c) in Feb’20.
- Transmission system associated with GEC-I completed by Mar’20.
- Transmission system associated with Solar Ultra Mega Power Projects completed by June’20.
- POWERGRID declared as Maharatna CPSU in Oct’19.
- Srinagar-Leh Transmission System (SLTS) commissioned in Jan’19.
- 765 Jabalpur-Orai- Aligarh D/C IR System commissioned in Mar’18
- Guidelines for Import/Export (Cross Border) of Electricity issued in Dec'18
- 765 kV D/c Nizamabad-Hyderabad commissioned in July'17
- + 800 kV Champa-Kurukshetra HVDC Bipole-I, commissioned in Sep.’17
- + 800kV Alipurduar-Agra HVDC Bipole, commissioned in Sep’17
- The 1200 Kv National Test Station with both the 1200/400KV bays along with the single and double circuit stations of 1200kV lines are charged.
- Successfully Commissioned second link of Indo-Bangladesh link.
- Successfully commissioned Indo-Nepal cross border.
- National Transmision Asset Management Centre (NTAMC), Manesar developed with State of the Art Technology was dedicated to the nation.
- POWERGRID celebrated its "Silver Jubilee", completing 25 years of successful journey as a leading Power transmission utility of country, consolidating its footprints as a World Class, Integrating, Global Transmission Compan with Dominant Leadership in Emerging Power Markets.
- POWERGRID ranked as the Fastest Growing Electric Utility in the World as per Platts Top 250 Energy Companies (2014) in the world.
- Country’s mission of ‘One Nation’ – ‘One Grid’ – ‘One Frequency’ successfully accomplished with the commissioning of 765kV S/c Raichur–Solapur transmission system.
- POWERGRID’s Follow-On Pubic Offer received an overwhelming response from the investor community.
- Successfully commissioned 500MW HVDC back to back asynchronous link between Baharampur (India) and Behramara (Bangladesh) of the prestigious Indo-Bangladesh Interconnection.
- POWERGRID issued its Maiden Foreign Currency Bond of US$ 500 million.
- POWERGRID’s Corporate and US$ 500 Million offshore bond issue as rated by International Credit Rating Agency viz. Standard & Poor and Fitch Ratings.
- POWERGRID received its international credit rating from Standard & Poor’s and Fitch ratings
- The pilot 1200kV Single circuit and Double circuit lines along with one 1200kV Bay were successfully test charged at 1200kV Ultra High Voltage (UHV) AC National Test Station at Bina, Madhya Pradesh.
- POWERGRID adopted Vision and its new Mission.
- Successful listing of fresh equity shares on stock exchanges in India through Follow-on Public Offer.
- Ceritficate for Commencement of Business issued to Power System Operation Corporation Limited.
- POWERGRID`s wholly owned subsidiary, Power System Operation Corporation Limited, was incorporated.
- POWERGRID established National Load Despatch Centre (NLDC) at New Delhi.
May 2008 :
- POWERGRID was notified as a Navratna Company.
- POWERGRID`s Listing of Equity Shares on the Stock Exchanges.
- POWERGRID was notified as the Central Transmission Utility by the Government of India. POWERGRID continues to be the CTU under the Electricity Act, 2003 as per the notification issued by the GoI on November 27, 2003.
October 1998 :
- POWERGRID was notified as a Mini Ratna (Category I) company by the Government of India.
- Control of the five regional load despatch and communication centres was transferred to POWERGRID in a phased manner. POWERGRID undertook the unified load despatch and communication project ("ULDC") under which modernized load despatch facilities have been established in each of the five regional centres. The establishment of a national load despatch centre is also underway.
- The Government of India entrusted POWERGRID with the responsibility of controlling the existing load despatch centres in the country with a view to achieve better grid management and operation.
- The transmission assets of Tehri Hydro Development Corporation Limited are transferred to POWERGRID.
- The National Thermal Power Corporation Limited, the National Hydro Electric Power Corporation Limited and the North-Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (Acquisition and Transfer of Power Transmission Systems) Ordinance ("Power Transmission Systems Ordinance") was enacted , pursuant to which the right, title and interest of these three power generating companies in relation to the power transmission system, comprising of the main transmission lines, including the extra high voltage alternative current transmission lines and the HVDC lines, and sub-stations, owned by them, were acquired by the Government of India and transferred to Company, with effect from April 1, 1992
- Transmission assets of Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited were taken over by POWERGRID under the Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited (Acquisition and Transfer of Power Transmission System) Act, 1994.
- The transmission assets of Nuclear Power Corporation Limited were transferred to POWERGRID.